阅读权限 80
注册 2007-12-8

来自 My sky
状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
China Daily Video News May 9

Briefs:

HFMD cases almost 25,000

The number of cases of hand-foot-mouth disease has now reached almost 25,000 in China.

Thirty-two people have so far died from the enterovirus 71 or EV71 with the worst hit area in Fuyang, Anhui Province.

Last chance for Olympics tickets

The last batch of Olympics tickets in Beijing was sold out in two days earlier this week.

However, tickets for events held in other cities like Shanghai, Tianjin, and Shenyang are still available.

Security boosted at Tian’anmen

Security at Tiananmen Square was officially tightened this week to prevent people entering the area with potentially dangerous items.

An official from the municipal government says anyone entering the square could be stopped and checked.

Israel celebrates 60 years

Israel celebrates the 60th anniversary of its founding as a state on Wednesday.

Jews marked the milestone with fireworks, concerts, and even a message from NASA astronaut Garrett Reisman, the first Jewish crew member of the international space station.

Yahoo reconsiders selling

Yahoo CEO Jerry Yang is reconsidering selling the company after investors criticized him for not taking the $47.5 billion offer from Microsoft Corp.

Yahoo wanted $37 a share rebuffing Microsoft’s $33 offer.

Full coverage:

Torch on top of the world

The Olympic flame reached the top of the world Thursday morning Beijing time.

A team of 36 climbers reached the summit of Mount Qomolangma, or Mount Everest, with the torch.

The team included 24 ethnic Tibetans, 10 Han Chinese and one each from the Tu and Tujia ethnic groups.

While the torch made its ascent up the peak, Beijing Olympic organizers suspended the torch relay in Shenzhen.

The flames will rejoin at a later date during the relay.

Hu visits Japan

President Hu Jintao and Japanese Prime Minister Yasuo Fukuda signed a statement calling for the promotion of a mutually beneficial strategic relationship.

This is the fourth landmark paper the two countries have signed on defining their ties since the normalization of diplomatic relations in 1972.

They also signed a document on cooperation on climate change, where China is interested in getting access to Japan’s cutting-edge environmental and energy saving technologies.

It was the first visit to Japan by a Chinese President in over 10 years with plans to make annual alternating visits between Beijing and Tokyo announced.

Medvedev new Russian President

Dmitry Medvedev was sworn in as Russian President on Wednesday and former president Vladimir Putin became his prime minister.

The 42-year-old Medvedev has stressed freedom and rule of law in his first remarks after taking the oath of office in a ceremony in the Kremlin’s St. Andrew’s Hall.

He inherits a country with a booming economy fuelled by high oil prices, rising inflation, a declining population and increasingly tense relations with former Soviet neighbors and the West.

Relief comes to Myanmar after Cyclone Nargis

Aid is trickling into Mynamar after Cyclone Nargis battered the western coast on the weekend.

So far almost 23,000 people are dead, over 42,000 missing, and 1 million left homeless in the Irrawaddy delta.

Aid workers have already distributed essential relief supplies such as water purification tablets, mosquito nets, plastic sheeting and basic medicines.

China shipped $500,000 worth of food, tents and blankets, and pledged another $500,000 in cash.

Relief agencies are waiting further approval from the Myanmar government to help assist disaster victims.

Pictures:

China Phil performs for Pope

Pope Benedict XVI listened to Mozart’s Requiem and Chinese folk song Jasmine, performed by the China Philharmonic Orchestra along with the Shanghai Opera House Chorus at the Paul VI Audience Hall in the Vatican.

Stars shine at the Met

Actors, singers and artists gathered at the Metropolitan Museum of Art Costume Institute Gala in New York.

They included Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony, Beyonce, David and Victoria Beckham, and Zhang Ziyi.

Tibet’s past and present on show

The Cultural Palace of Nationalities in Beijing has a new exhibit called “Tibet of China: Past and Present”.

There are 146 exhibits and 182 pictures showing life in Tibet before and after its liberation in 1959.

蕊琪护肤&钻戒,有需要请加我微信:junjun1762  
顶部
酷港小秘
VIP会员
FOB狼族-文馨阁-小魔女

UID 348667
精华 0
积分 13121
帖子 4743
福步币 59 块
阅读权限 80
注册 2007-12-8

来自 My sky
状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
Confucius School

Confucius School

[VOICEOVER]

Baijiatuan is a quiet neighborhood on the outskirts of northwest Beijing. Located near the mountains, this area is filled with Western-style mansions. In two of them there is a school that teaches Chinese classics.

In one room, children as young as three read the Analects of Confucius aloud with teaching monitors. They point to each character as they read so that they will eventually recognize them.

In addition to learning the teachings of Confucius and calligraphy, the students also learn wushu and how to grow vegetables. They also make weekly hikes to the mountains for fresh air.

Founder Feng Zhe believes it’s important for students to get an education similar to Chinese scholars from centuries past:

[QUOTE of Feng Zhe]

Now so-called ‘new way of education’ in China is learned from the west. The curriculum is divided into subjects. But it was different in ancient China. Arts and science were not separated. It’s hard to tell whether “I Ching” is a humanities or natural science subject, and whether “Tao Te Ching” is medicine because it offers guides to living a long life. I believe this is the most ancient but also most advanced education style in China.

[VOICEOVER]

Not only do the students follow a classical curriculum, but also live in dorms, eat vegetarian meals and don’t have much access to televisions or computers like regular kids.

But that doesn’t bother them too much.

[QUOTE of two kids]

Boy: I get to know how to be a morally righteous person through the classics. For example, the classics teach us to be modest, things like that.

Girl: And “Di Zi Gui” (the Confucian rules for being a good student and child) teaches us to be filial to our parents.

Boy: Sometimes, When I understand the meaning of a sentence, I feel really happy

[VOICEOVER]

The curriculum is what attracted several teachers to the Confucius School. Chen Qiong

is one of them. After living and working in the United States for 10 years, after getting a western education, she came back to China recently.

[QUOTE of Chen Qiong]

Before I came there I was so attracted by western culture. But after I studied for about four or five years, I kind of, I feel the shallow and emptiness inside. So I think, from that time, I started to search and to look back.

[VOICEOVER]

But she is not the only one trying to fill a void in her education and identity. Actually there is a growing trend in today’s society to look towards the classics for guidance in daily life:

[QUOTE of Feng Zhe]

For some 100 years China has been learning from the west diligently. And it is till now that we find western values, as well as their knowledge can’t solve all the issues of the Chinese people, including those of the Chinese government. So we must refer back on our 5,000-year history.

[VOICEOVER]

Despite the school attracting many students and teachers, it has only opened for a few years and none of its students have graduated yet. It will be interesting to see if the classics really can help them fulfill their career aspirations and also adjust to normal post secondary institutions once they leave here.

顶部
酷港小秘
VIP会员
FOB狼族-文馨阁-小魔女

UID 348667
精华 0
积分 13121
帖子 4743
福步币 59 块
阅读权限 80
注册 2007-12-8

来自 My sky
状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
School back in session all over Sichuan

Some students from Dujiangyan, Beichuan, and Mianyang are back in school.

Teachers set up temporary classrooms and dorms in tents so students could continue their studies. They haven't got podiums or blackboards, but dozens of students hurried there as soon as they heard the news.

Huo Tianxue, Principal of Haihong Elementary School said "The students that come are some nearby kids or some orphans."

A cafeteria was also built in the middle of an open field. There isn't much of a selection, but the children will at least be fed. Next to the cafeteria and the classroom is a place for children to sleep.

In Beichuan, on Monday afternoon, the Middle School's sign was found in the rubble. It was hung up to signal a new beginning.

In Mianyang, 509 high school students began classes with raising of the flag and singing of the national athem.

The research and training center of the Changhong Electronics Company has become the classrooms for students preparing for the upcoming college entrance exams.

Mianyang's Education authority also picked some teachers to help these high schoolers.

Student representative of Beichuan High School said "We Beichuan high school students will work hard together and our spirits will never be knocked down. We will all study hard because we still need to re-build our homes."

On Monday, around 70 Juyuan High School students resumed classes at a temporary facility built on the campus of a primary school.

Li Xingquan, Instructor of Juyuan High School said "We have only a few dozen students. We want to attract more back to school. We hope parents understand that students still need to study. Our work needs to be done. Life has to go on."

The high school operates on a half-day basis. Students are also receiving psychological counseling and being taught post-quake safety measures.

顶部
酷港小秘
VIP会员
FOB狼族-文馨阁-小魔女

UID 348667
精华 0
积分 13121
帖子 4743
福步币 59 块
阅读权限 80
注册 2007-12-8

来自 My sky
状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
UK tourists touched by locals

Judy Wong's three-hour panda-watching trip turned into a disaster - but at the end of it, she has been left with a greater appreciation of China.

The 59-year-old Chinese-Briton was about to cuddle a giant panda and get a photo taken when the earthquake stuck the Wolong giant panda breeding park on Monday.

She told the press yesterday that being in Beijing was a miracle. "We were in the middle of the panda center surrounded by sheer cliffs. Rocks fell all around. But here I am, completely fine - and that is only half the miracle.

"The other half is the Chinese people and the way they took care of us."

She said the generosity of the people in Sichuan and the professionalism of the army as well as China International Travel Service staff presented a true picture of China to the British tourists.

Foreign tourists take a helicopter to Chengdu on Friday after being evacuated from Wolong in Sichuan province. Xinhua

"I've never been to China before. And (the experience of) the reunion is very important for me.
"We grieve for Chinese people in the tragedy but I am so glad to see that they still look to the future," Wong said.

She was in a 19-member British travel group that was flown to safety by helicopter after spending three nights on a bus in the Wolong. None was hurt.

Paying tribute to the Sichuan people, Wong said they were always ready to share what they had though there wasn't much left for them.

"They shared their food with us, basically rice," she said, adding she had eaten more porridge in the past three days than in her whole life.

Penelope Edwards, another member of the travel group, said she would never forget the Sichuan people.

"I was so cold on the second night when it was raining and someone gave me some dumplings with sesame fillings. It made such difference. They were smiling at us and I felt so warm," Edwards said.

She said despite losing their homes and being distraught, the people showed them kindness, help and support."I met a group of Tibetan students and they invited me to eat and sing."

The two women were also touched by the staff of the Wolong center who risked their lives to save pandas.

顶部
酷港小秘
VIP会员
FOB狼族-文馨阁-小魔女

UID 348667
精华 0
积分 13121
帖子 4743
福步币 59 块
阅读权限 80
注册 2007-12-8

来自 My sky
状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
China Daily Video News May 16

BRIEF:

Earthquake update

Officials say the death toll from Monday’s earthquake is estimated at 50,000, with most of the casualties in Sichuan.

102,000 are injured, and over 25,000 still missing.

A Japanese rescue team has arrived in Sichuan, the first foreign aid personnel to help China.

Pandas in Sichuan OK

All 86 pandas at the Wolong Nature Reserve are doing fine and were moved to a safer place after the earthquake.

The reserve, a research and breeding center, is located in Wenchuan County, the epicenter of the quake.

China sets up jumbo jet company

China has set up a company to build large passenger aircraft.

Commercial Aircraft Corporation of China Ltd will research, develop, manufacture and market the jets.

CACC’s goal is to deliver the ARJ21 aircraft, the first homegrown regional jet.

Torch relay helps relief efforts

Organizers of the Olympic torch relay have toned down the festivities out of respect for the earthquake victims.

The start of each ceremony now begins with a minute’s silence and donations are collected at each stop.

Putin names new government

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin reshuffled the Russian government on Monday, his first major action since leaving the Kremlin.

He brought in some high-profile figures from his presidency, but left the prominent ministries unchanged.

In-depth:

Earthquake updates

This morning President Hu Jintao flew to Sichuan Province to console the victims of Monday’s earthquake.

The death toll in Sichuan alone is over 19,500.

Rescuers finished repairs on a quake-damaged road from Lixian County to the epicenter, Wenchuan County, at 9:30 pm Thursday night.

The newly-opened road ensures faster delivery of disaster relief materials.

Yesterday Premier Wen Jiabao went to Qingchuan County, near the badly-hit Beichuan County, by boat to oversee rescue work.

Latest relief efforts

China’s military conducted large-scale air drops on Thursday of key relief supplies.

They include 50,000 food packets, 54,000 articles of clothing, 25,000 pairs of shoes and 5,000 blankets.

Also the total number of soldiers, paramilitary personnel and rescuer workers has reached 130,000.

Premier Wen Jiabao has ordered 90 more helicopters to ferry the injured to hospitals as well as bring supplies.

Rescue workers have also cleared roads previously blocked by boulders due to landslides.

Generous donations for quake relief

Ordinary Chinese citizens and celebrities have pitched in for quake relief efforts.

NBA star Yao Ming has pledged 2 million yuan, and hurdler Liu Xiang and his coach 500,000 yuan.

People have also donated cash and lined up to give blood.

And Chinese outside of the mainland have given generously.

Hong Kong is donating HK$350 million or US$44.9 million.

Macao has pledged 100 million yuan, and Taiwan more than 200 million yuan.

Overseas Chinese are fundraising in Canada, the United States, Europe and Africa.

How you can help

You too can help with the earthquake relief by making a donation.

The Red Cross Society of China and China Charity Foundation are receiving donations.

The account number for renminbi donations is: 0200-00100-90144-13252, at the Beijing branch of Industrial and Commercial Bank of China.

For foreign currency donations, the account number is: 7112-1114-82600-000209 at Jiuxianqiao branch of CITIC Bank.

The Red Cross Society of China donation hotline is 6513-9999 or 6402-7620.

PICTURES:

Jenna Bush gets married

US President George W Bush’s ranch in Crawford, Texas was the site of wedded bliss this past weekend.

His daughter Jenna married long-time boyfriend Henry Hager in a quiet ceremony in front of family and friends.

“Meet in Beijing” cultural festival

Beijing will not only host the Olympics, but also an arts festival from May to September.

Called “Meet in Beijing”, overseas groups will present over 100 performances and 60 exhibitions.

One group performing will be the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra.

Qianmen Street reopened

After a year of renovations, Qianmen Street in Beijing was reopened to the public.

It is a pedestrian-only zone before the Olympics. Trolley buses have made a comeback and time honored brand Quanjude roast duck restaurant has returned as well.

About the broadcaster:

Bernice Chan is a foreign expert at China Daily Website. Originally from Vancouver, Canada, Bernice has written for newspapers and magazines in Hong Kong and most recently worked as a broadcaster for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, producing current affairs shows and documentaries.

Brendan joined The China Daily in 2007 as a language polisher in the Language Tips Department, where he writes a regular column for Chinese English Language learners, reads audio news for listeners and anchors the weekly video news in addition to assisting with on location stories. Elsewhere he writes Op’Ed pieces with a China focus that feature in the Daily’s Website opinion section.

He received his B.A. and Post Grad Dip from Curtin University in 1997 and his Masters in Community Development and Management from Charles Darwin University in 2003. He has taught in Japan, England, Australia and most recently China. His articles have featured in the Bangkok Post, The Taipei Times, The Asia News Network and in-flight magazines.

顶部
酷港小秘
VIP会员
FOB狼族-文馨阁-小魔女

UID 348667
精华 0
积分 13121
帖子 4743
福步币 59 块
阅读权限 80
注册 2007-12-8

来自 My sky
状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
Premier Wen directs rescue operation

Chinese Premier Wen Jiabao continues to inspect some of the worst-hit areas in Sichuan province. He's now in Shifang city -- 50 kilometers away from the epicenter of Wenchuan county. Wen says the top priorities are saving lives and restoring transportation.

Premier Wen Jiabao's first stop was a primary school in Longju county in Shifang.

More than 130 people had been trapped in the rubble. Some were rescued, and the premier ordered workers to speed up to save more people.

At a factory which had suffered severe damage, Wen Jiabao told local officials to send more food.

Premier Wen said, "Food has to be transported quickly. The kids have nothing to eat now. Don't cry, food will come soon. Somebody will bring you biscuits and powdered milk, right away. "

Wen Jiabao encouraged workers to stay positive.

Wen Jiabao said, "The rescue team will soon arrive. They are professional. We'll do our best to rescue stranded people. The severe natural disaster has cost us a lot. Now we're at the crucial stage of fighting the quake and continuing disaster relief. We need to be calm, confident and united to achieve success. Our top priority is saving lives and rescuing those trapped."

Wen Jiabao arrived in Dujiangyan Monday afternoon, about four hours after the earthquake struck.

顶部
ym2008ym (小杨)
中级会员
凉拌西红柿

UID 415273
精华 0
积分 1802
帖子 575
福步币 0 块
阅读权限 40
注册 2008-4-10

来自 江西新余(现杭州)
状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
楼主辛苦了!!@

(打劫。把小嘴嘴拿過來我親親.)
    ●          ○   ╮╮         
     █┳   ┗█┛   \█/ 我倒!~~   
    ┏┓     ┛┗    ●
顶部
酷港小秘
VIP会员
FOB狼族-文馨阁-小魔女

UID 348667
精华 0
积分 13121
帖子 4743
福步币 59 块
阅读权限 80
注册 2007-12-8

来自 My sky
状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
China Daily Videonews May 23

BRIEF

Tents needed the most

President Hu Jintao visited two tent manufacturers in Zhejiang Province, urging them to produce as many tents as possible.

About 400,000 tents have been distributed and the Ministry of Civil Affairs said they need about 3.3 million tents in total.

Premier Wen back in Sichuan

On Thursday Premier Wen Jiabao returned to Mianyang, one of the worst-hit cities in the quake.

He flew in a helicopter to Beichuan County to inspect the situation at one of the largest “quake lakes”, which formed when rivers were blocked by landslides.

China fights to prevent epidemics

As the summer draws near, the quake-hit regions are facing pressure to prevent epidemics.

According to the Ministry of Health, about 45,000 medical workers are in all quake-hit towns and counties in Sichuan. They have distributed disinfectants and bactericides.

Taking care of the dead

About 80 percent of the bodies found in the earthquake have been either cremated or buried to pre-empt the outbreak of disease.

Unidentified bodies are photographed and their body tissue is collected for DNA tests.

Government funds for survivors

The State Council ordered government departments to cut spending by 5 percent this year to free up money for quake reconstruction.

The money will be used for a 70 billion yuan fund to help survivors of the May 12 earthquake.

Also, families who lost loved ones will receive 4,000 yuan for each victim.

IN-DEPTH

National mourning for quake victims

On May 19, China began a three-day national mourning period for the victims of the earthquake.

At dawn, the flag at Tiananmen Square was raised at half-mast, as were all Chinese flags across the country.

Then at 2:28pm, the exact time when the earthquake struck a week ago, people stood for three minutes in silence to remember the victims.

For the three days, no public entertainment was allowed and television shows were either cancelled or concentrated on news about the earthquake.

World mourns for China

Many leaders around the world  expressed their sympathy for the quake victims.

On May 19, ambassadors and diplomats from over 150 countries and international organizations paid their respects by visiting the Foreign Ministry in Beijing.

They spoke with Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi, expressing their support for the Chinese people, and signed condolence books.

Many countries have offered aid and expertise in helping with quake relief efforts.

The international community has donated over $246 million in aid.

Quake hero

There are many people who did their utmost to save others during the earthquake disaster.

One of them was teacher Tan Qianqiu.

The 51-year-old was a teacher at a middle school in Hanwang.

Monday’s earthquake buried some 200 students.

But when rescuers went through the rubble, they found he had shielded four students with his own body.

He did not survive, but the students did.

He leaves behind a wife and two daughters.

International aid relief

Italian and Japanese medical teams have arrived in Sichuan to help with relief efforts.

On Wednesday, a Japanese rescue team returned to Tokyo after spending six days trying to find survivors. Russian, South Korean and Taiwanese search and rescue teams are still in the quake-hit areas.

Countries like Australia, Germany, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Norway and Japan have offered relief materials as well as money.

Items include heavy machinery for cutting and lifting, as well as medicines, tents, milk powder, clothing and blankets.

AFTERCARE

The thread of life amid debris of destruction

Out of the rubble, new life has begun in Sichuan.

Since the earthquake, 22 babies have been born, bringing much needed hope to the survivors.

Many young children have also miraculously survived the quake and are receiving medical attention.

School begins again for students

Some students in quake-hit areas have resumed class again in open areas or in tents.

The college entrance exams in Sichuan will be delayed to give students more time to prepare.

A team of psychologists from Beijing is helping young people in Mianyang deal with post-traumatic stress disorder, caused by the May 12 quake.

Olympians visit quake-hit area

Olympic champions have gone to Sichuan to cheer up the children in quake-hit areas.

Table tennis queen Deng Yaping, short-track speed skating champ Yang Yang and diving diva Gao Min distributed basketballs and volleyballs to the children.

Deng hopes the spirit of sports will help the young victims get back on their feet quickly.

顶部
tina218
高级会员

UID 280741
精华 0
积分 7435
帖子 522
福步币 4 块
阅读权限 60
注册 2007-8-3

状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
非常感谢,帮助很大,,,谢谢楼主

顶部
酷港小秘
VIP会员
FOB狼族-文馨阁-小魔女

UID 348667
精华 0
积分 13121
帖子 4743
福步币 59 块
阅读权限 80
注册 2007-12-8

来自 My sky
状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
China Daily Videonews May 23

BRIEF

Tents needed the most

President Hu Jintao visited two tent manufacturers in Zhejiang Province, urging them to produce as many tents as possible.

About 400,000 tents have been distributed and the Ministry of Civil Affairs said they need about 3.3 million tents in total.

Premier Wen back in Sichuan

On Thursday Premier Wen Jiabao returned to Mianyang, one of the worst-hit cities in the quake.

He flew in a helicopter to Beichuan County to inspect the situation at one of the largest “quake lakes”, which formed when rivers were blocked by landslides.

China fights to prevent epidemics

As the summer draws near, the quake-hit regions are facing pressure to prevent epidemics.

According to the Ministry of Health, about 45,000 medical workers are in all quake-hit towns and counties in Sichuan. They have distributed disinfectants and bactericides.

Taking care of the dead

About 80 percent of the bodies found in the earthquake have been either cremated or buried to pre-empt the outbreak of disease.

Unidentified bodies are photographed and their body tissue is collected for DNA tests.

Government funds for survivors

The State Council ordered government departments to cut spending by 5 percent this year to free up money for quake reconstruction.

The money will be used for a 70 billion yuan fund to help survivors of the May 12 earthquake.

Also, families who lost loved ones will receive 4,000 yuan for each victim.

IN-DEPTH

National mourning for quake victims

On May 19, China began a three-day national mourning period for the victims of the earthquake.

At dawn, the flag at Tiananmen Square was raised at half-mast, as were all Chinese flags across the country.

Then at 2:28pm, the exact time when the earthquake struck a week ago, people stood for three minutes in silence to remember the victims.

For the three days, no public entertainment was allowed and television shows were either cancelled or concentrated on news about the earthquake.

World mourns for China

Many leaders around the world  expressed their sympathy for the quake victims.

On May 19, ambassadors and diplomats from over 150 countries and international organizations paid their respects by visiting the Foreign Ministry in Beijing.

They spoke with Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi, expressing their support for the Chinese people, and signed condolence books.

Many countries have offered aid and expertise in helping with quake relief efforts.

The international community has donated over $246 million in aid.

Quake hero

There are many people who did their utmost to save others during the earthquake disaster.

One of them was teacher Tan Qianqiu.

The 51-year-old was a teacher at a middle school in Hanwang.

Monday’s earthquake buried some 200 students.

But when rescuers went through the rubble, they found he had shielded four students with his own body.

He did not survive, but the students did.

He leaves behind a wife and two daughters.

International aid relief

Italian and Japanese medical teams have arrived in Sichuan to help with relief efforts.

On Wednesday, a Japanese rescue team returned to Tokyo after spending six days trying to find survivors. Russian, South Korean and Taiwanese search and rescue teams are still in the quake-hit areas.

Countries like Australia, Germany, South Korea, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Norway and Japan have offered relief materials as well as money.

Items include heavy machinery for cutting and lifting, as well as medicines, tents, milk powder, clothing and blankets.

AFTERCARE

The thread of life amid debris of destruction

Out of the rubble, new life has begun in Sichuan.

Since the earthquake, 22 babies have been born, bringing much needed hope to the survivors.

Many young children have also miraculously survived the quake and are receiving medical attention.

School begins again for students

Some students in quake-hit areas have resumed class again in open areas or in tents.

The college entrance exams in Sichuan will be delayed to give students more time to prepare.

A team of psychologists from Beijing is helping young people in Mianyang deal with post-traumatic stress disorder, caused by the May 12 quake.

Olympians visit quake-hit area

Olympic champions have gone to Sichuan to cheer up the children in quake-hit areas.

Table tennis queen Deng Yaping, short-track speed skating champ Yang Yang and diving diva Gao Min distributed basketballs and volleyballs to the children.

Deng hopes the spirit of sports will help the young victims get back on their feet quickly.

顶部
酷港小秘
VIP会员
FOB狼族-文馨阁-小魔女

UID 348667
精华 0
积分 13121
帖子 4743
福步币 59 块
阅读权限 80
注册 2007-12-8

来自 My sky
状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
Premier Wen meets Ban Ki-moon in quake z

Premier Wen Jiabao has thanked UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon for the United Nations' quake relief efforts. Ban Ki-moon arrived in the capital of Sichuan Province Saturday morning and went directly to the epicenter of the quake, Yingxiu town, where he expressed his sympathy for the people there.

Wen Jiabao thanked the UN Secretary General for his visit on behalf of the Chinese government and people.

Wen briefed Ban on the relief effort, saying China will carry out reconstruction as soon as possible. The international community showed sympathy for China soon after the quake. Wen Jiabao said this was evidence of the world's kindness to China and its humanitarian spirit. Wen said international aid has contributed a lot toChina's relief work, and the government and people are very grateful for this.

The premier said the whole nation is devoting itself to the relief effort and with the help and support from the world, China will overcome all difficulties and succeed in the reconstruction.

Ban Ki-moon said Chinese leaders have shown outstanding leadership in quake relief, and the world is moved by the immediate reaction of both the leaders and the people. He said what happened in Sichuan after the quake has shown the courage and spirit of cooperation of the Chinese people. He had come to tell the people of China that international community is firmly standing by their side.

Before the meeting, Wen Jiabao met journalists in Yingxiu. He said he appreciates the aid offered by all Chinese around the world. Wen said China welcomes journalists from all over the world and believes that they will report the quake, relief effort objectively, fairly and based on facts.

顶部
酷港小秘
VIP会员
FOB狼族-文馨阁-小魔女

UID 348667
精华 0
积分 13121
帖子 4743
福步币 59 块
阅读权限 80
注册 2007-12-8

来自 My sky
状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
Relief work to shift to reconstruction

Earthquake relief work has entered a "new stage", with more efforts to be focused on resettlement and post-quake reconstruction in damaged areas. The earthquake relief headquarters under the State Council made the decision at a meeting on Tuesday, presided over by Premier Wen Jiabao.

Premier Wen Jiabao reiterated the importance of the "people-first" policy. He said the main tasks in the next phase of the relief operation include treating the injured, resettling survivors, preventing epidemics, restoring production, rebuilding damaged infrastructure, and keeping social stability in disaster-hit areas.

It was agreed that efforts to search for survivors should continue, but more importance should be attached to resettlement, the restoration of production and reconstruction.

The meeting has called for more epidemic experts to be sent to all villages in the quake zones for disease prevention. It says inoculation for people vulnerable to infectious diseases should be carried out as soon as possible.

The meeting says local authorities must properly handle the aftermath of those killed and care for those affected by the quake, urging sufficient supplies of makeshift accommodation, especially for people in remote mountainous areas. The production of 900 thousand tents and one million makeshift houses has already been assigned to specific provinces and enterprises. The meeting also called for the production 500 thousand more makeshift houses.

It urges quake relief forces to address the threat posed by the swelling earthquake-induced Tangjiashan Lake to downstream regions, citing it as one of the "most pressing jobs at hand".

The meeting says social order should be maintained in the quake zones, with the restoration of production and post-quake reconstruction to be planned in the meantime.

顶部
酷港小秘
VIP会员
FOB狼族-文馨阁-小魔女

UID 348667
精华 0
积分 13121
帖子 4743
福步币 59 块
阅读权限 80
注册 2007-12-8

来自 My sky
状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
Olympic torch relay continues tour in An

The Olympic Flame is continuing on its journey in Anhui province. The Olympic Torch Relay began its tour in Jixi County at 9 o'clock this morning (Friday).

Before the torch relay started, a minute of silence was observed in honor of the quake victims. Snooker sensation Ding Junhui served as the first torchbearer of the leg. Like other legs, the torch relay in Jixi has been scaled down to an hour.

Along the 4.5 kilometer route, residents cheered as they displayed banners showing support for the quake victims. Later this afternoon, the Olympic Flame will arrive in Huangshan, to continue its Olympic Torch Relay journey in the province.

顶部
酷港小秘
VIP会员
FOB狼族-文馨阁-小魔女

UID 348667
精华 0
积分 13121
帖子 4743
福步币 59 块
阅读权限 80
注册 2007-12-8

来自 My sky
状态 离线
登记完善我的简历
China Daily Video News May 30

BRIEF

Latest numbers

The latest figures from the May 12 earthquake in Sichuan at noon on Thursday Beijing time are 68,516 dead, 365,399 injured and 19,350 missing.

According to the State Council Information Office, about 15.15 million people affected in the quake zones have been relocated.

Draining quake lake

Hundreds of soldiers and engineers are using excavators and bulldozers to dig a diversion channel to prevent a quake lake in Beichuan from bursting its banks.

So far one-third of the sluice is finished, and the channel is expected to be completed by June 5.

Strong aftershocks

A 6.4 magnitude aftershock jolted Qingchuan county of Sichuan Province last Sunday afternoon. 8 people died and hundreds were injured.

Other big aftershocks included a 5.7 magnitude tremor centering on Ningqiang County of Shaanxi Province, and a magnitude 5.4 jolt which struck Qingchuan County, both on Tuesday.

Olympic torch relay update

These past few days, the Olympic torch is in Anhui Province.

It was in Hefei, Huainan and Wuhu. Today it goes to Jixi and Huangshan.

After Anhui the torch will head to Hubei Province.

Canadian FM quits over papers

Canadian Foreign Minister Maxime Bernier resigned Monday after it emerged he had left classified documents in the apartment of his former girlfriend who has links to organized crime.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper accepted his resignation just before Bernier’s ex-girlfriend’s taped TV interview.

Nepal gets rid of monarchy

On Wednesday Nepal ended 239 years of royal rule with the swearing in of 575 lawmakers, with another 26 to be appointed later.

The republic has given King Gyanendra two weeks to vacate his royal palace in Kathmandu before it is turned into a national museum.

IN-DEPTH

Hu talks with KMT chairman

President Hu Jintao met with Kuomintang Chairman Wu Poh-hsiung this Wednesday.

It was the first and also the highest-level contact across the Straits in six decades.

Hu pledged to resume cross-Straits dialogue at the earliest date. He also hoped the two sides would make efforts to build mutual trust, set aside disputes, seek consensus and jointly create a win-win situation.

The president added priority should be given to starting weekend passenger charter flights and allowing mainland tourists to visit Taiwan after the talks resume.

Russian President visits China

Russian President Dmitry Medvedev made a speech at Peking University during his visit to China.

He said China-Russia relations are a major factor in global security. He added the two countries should jointly pursue technological innovation to help ease global challenges, like affordable energy resources, stabilizing financial markets and food security.

After his speech, Medvedev jokingly hoped Russian and Chinese athletes would win all the medals at the Olympics.

Russia will study the Beijing Games to prepare for the 2014 Winter Games to be held in Sochi.

ROK leader visits China

Earlier in the week President Hu Jintao also met up with his counterpart from the Republic of Korea, Lee Myung-bak.

Lee was in China for a four-day visit.

During the 80-minute meeting, the two sides agreed to upgrade their relationship to a “strategic cooperative partnership”.

Beijing and Seoul also plan to increase cooperation in security, trade and people-to-people exchanges, including a strategic dialogue between the two foreign ministries.

The two countries also agreed to enhance collaboration in sectors ranging from telecommunications and logistics, to energy and environmental protection.

Lee will go to the quake-hit area this afternoon, accompanied by Chinese Foreign Minister Yang Jiechi. Lee is the first foreign head of state to visit the disaster zone.

Weather satellite launched

China launched a second weather satellite for the Olympic Games on Tuesday in Shanxi Province.

The Fengyun-3 will work with the existing Fengyun-2 to ensure timely weather forecasts during the Games in August.

The FY-3 will send back images of spatial resolution of 250 meters and its temperature sensitivity will be in the region of 0.1 degree Fahrenheit. Both indices are close to the most advanced satellites in the world.

The satellite will provide medium-range forecasts of 10 to 15 days.

PICTURE

French win at Cannes

The classroom drama Entre Les Murs, or The Class, was the first French victory at the Cannes Film Festival in 21 years with the Palme d’Or for best picture.

Benecio del Toro won best actor as Ernesto “Che” Guevara and best actress went to Sandra Corveloni in Linha de Passe.

Pandas arrive in Beijing

Eight pandas from the China Giant Panda Protection and Research Center arrived in Beijing last Saturday on a flight from Chengdu.

They will meet visitors in the run-up to the Beijing Olympics, and stay in the capital until November.

Pictures from Mars

Images sent back by NASA’s Phoenix Mars Lander show the terrain of Mars as relatively flat with polygon-shaped patterns in the ground. They were likely caused by the expansion and contraction of underground ice.

Phoenix is on a three-month mission to excavate the soil using a robotic arm.

顶部
忧之哀伤 (绝处逢生)
高级会员
业余吉他手&SEOER

UID 357453
精华 0
积分 9535
帖子 593
福步币 0 块
阅读权限 60
注册 2007-12-25